Admit it—watching Netflix in bed all day can get boring after awhile, no matter how many seasons of Friends exist. Denton isn’t the biggest city in the world, but it does have some awesome events going on all the time that you probably aren’t aware of. If you look a little bit closer, our little town has some little treasures. Instead of hitting that “Yes, I’m still watching” button we all love to hate, check out our little list of things to do in Denton this weekend. You’ll thank us later.
Art and music are a huge deal in Denton if you haven’t already noticed.
- There are weekly galleries in the Art building’s Lightwell, as well as the Cora Stafford Gallery in Oak Street Hall. Get in your ~daily dose~ of culture.
- Tons of bands play all over the city every day. You can head over to the Square and see live bands play at many restaurants such as J&J’s Pizza and LSA Burger Co.
- Love plays and musicals? We second that. Check out the Denton Community Theatre and pick out your favorite shows for a fun date night. On our list? Mary Poppins showing in April. (Tickets will go on sale Feb. 26th.)
- UNT and TWU also hold several movie nights throughout the school year. UNT is currently holding an arthouse film series in the new Union’s Lyceum through April. Movies include: “Room,” “Suffragette,” “Rolling Papers,” “The Danish Girl,” and “Anomalisa.”
Music and art not your thing? Don’t be afraid to try out some yoga, crafting or even take a stroll through the local farmer’s market. Don’t lie, we know you’re already planning out your weekend Instagram.
- If you haven’t had a chance to walk through SCRAP yet, do it. SCRAP has everything you can imagine for art projects, crafts or for those of you who just like collecting little knick-knacks.
- There are free yoga classes available around town every once in a while at places such as Twisted Bodies Pilates and Yoga, which is located off of Elm Street. The rec offers classes for yoga, Zumba, Pilates and more each month as well.
- Keep an eye out for the Denton community market located off of Mulberry and Carroll every Saturday morning starting in April. This community market has local artists, musicians and food trucks, as well as fresh veggies and fruit for sale. If you are interested in being a vendor, you can apply on their website!
There is even a North Texas Roller Derby team you can join or go watch compete. Go watch a game or head over to the Super Pit to cheer on some of UNT’s own sports teams. (Also, if you’re still a little obsessed with that Ellen Page roller derby movie from a few years back, this will ring some bells.)
Name something you might be interested in, and you will probably find it here in Denton. If you find yourself bored one night, head over to the community calendar. This is the go-to website for the majority of events going on each day in Denton. Here, you’ll find concerts, yoga classes, art galleries, workshops and more.
Now you have absolutely no reason to be stuck at home watching Netflix in bed. There’s a lot more to Denton than meets the eye. Venture on, you Dentonite you!
Photo by: Emily Berger